Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday Update

We have just returned from our interview with Tekleheimenot, the children’s birth father. Words are not adequate to describe it and the effect it had on us. Tekleheimenot is an incredible man who has a truly unselfish love for his children. He is sacrificing his own self for the betterment of his children.


Although I had my doubts about this meeting and the children seeing their father again, I think it will be something that will bless them for the rest of their lives. We were able to able to video a message from him to the children. He spoke first in English, then in Amharic (the national language), and then in Tigrai (their tribal language). We will be able to show it to them when they are older.


We spent about two hours with him. The children ran around playing running between the three of us like it was a playdate. When it was time for us to leave, he explained to Nardos that we were her new family and he wanted her to go to America with us. This was very difficult for her, but when he handed her to me she just wrapped her arms around my neck and cried. I held her all the way home and by the time we arrived back at the guest house she had fallen asleep in my arms and Nahom at my side.


All the Gladney adoptive parents went on an outing to visit some of the government orphanages. I decided to stay here since the children were still sleeping. I am so glad I did. The first thing I heard from the other room a few moments ago was…”Mommy? Mommy?” Nardos was awake.


We are trying to prepare logistically for flying home separately. This is a daunting task. I must admit the prospect of flying home alone with a 2 ½ year old with quite a temper makes me want to go crawl in a hole. However, I keep telling myself…”this too shall pass” The plane ride can’t last forever, even if it feels like it! We are still praying that miraculously Nardos’s test will come back negative in time for us to all leave Monday night. But it would truly have to be a miracle. Several government agencies (both American and Ethiopian) would have to do things very quickly and efficiently and even ahead of schedule. So you see what I mean when I say “miraculous”.


Thank you for your prayers and interest in our family. We can’t wait to all be home again!

4 comments:

  1. We are praying for a miracle for you! I am so blessed by reading your stories. Thanks for sharing in "real time" with us. Lots of love from Oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing sacrifice, blessed gifts! God can make a way, in His time. We will pray on. Enjoy your time with the kids! We love you! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving the updates! so glad things are going well with the kiddos and I can't wait to meet them. Praying for Nardos and her test results...and for your trip back! loveleiGh

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture of true love! I'm so glad the interview went well. We are praying for you all...Can't wait for you to be home!!

    ReplyDelete